Saturday, October 25, 2008

Book Review #20: Jim and Casper go to Church

I first have to say that I am excited to have finished my 20th book this year.  I had set a goal in January to read 20 books and it feels great to accomplish my goal.  I am also glad to have read this book as my 20th.  The idea behind this book was to help those who are in the church realize how those who come to our church view what we do in our services.  Jim grew up in the church and was a pastor for many years and Casper is an atheist.  They attended over 10 churches(Rick Warren's Saddleback, Bill Hybels Willowcreek, Joel Osteen's Church, TD Jakes church and others) over several weeks and gave insight from everything to the way they were greeted, to the music, to the taking of the tithes and offerings and the message given.  Casper offers great insight and challenged me a lot.  
Several small things I began to look at:
1. Why do we ask people in the service to greet those around them...shouldn't that happen already.
2. When we sing songs that have words like...Jesus' blood or atonement or body of christ, how do those who have no idea about God think we are talking about.
3. Those who come into our service want someone speaking to them who are real and authentic...already knew that but felt affirmed after reading this book.

This is a great book for everybody to read.  Another thing the book said was to have Church leadership send people to other Churches to see what they are doing and to have the feeling of being an "outsider" and to then learn from their experience.  

Have you been in the church so long you have forgotten what it feels like to not know what you are supposed to do in a church service, or what certain words may mean or how it feels to not know anybody?  I would challenge you to be aware of these things and to be sensitive to those who do not have a relationship with Christ. 

This is in my top 5 books I have read this year. 

1 comment:

Matt Casper said...

happy to have made your top 5! I really liked your comments, too...

When we wrote the book, I didn't realize how much of a challenge some of the things I said would be for many folks. Glad to see you're up for the challenge as it were.

(I wish I could say the same about the Jehovah's Witnesses who just graced my doorstep and with whom I spoke for about 15 minutes re: creation, gods, faith, and "my children and the Internet.")

Thanks again for reading and reviewing our little red book!

Matt Casper