Monday, September 15, 2008

half marathon + hurrican ike= 10 miles

Well the time came for the half marathon and with it came what remained of Hurricane Ike!  After waiting in the wind and rain for 45 minutes for the race to begin, the gun finally sounded and we happily took off.  After finishing mile 8, I noticed a change in the course.  To make a long and sad story short, they had to shorten the race to only 10 miles because some of the course was flooded!  
Have you ever worked really hard for something and it not turn out like you wanted or hoped it would?  What was your response?  I have to admit I was extremely disappointed in how the race turned out.  I trained for 12 weeks for this one morning and because of certain circumstances, it wasn't what I expected.  I am learning in life that things don't always end up like we want them to, however we have the choice how we will respond.  We can either learn from those experiences and move on or continue to dwell on the past.  I am choosing to move on from those events and this race is just a small picture of how life works out sometimes.  Can you move on and learn from your past?  May you choose to live today and allow your past to be the past.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, does that lesson apply to my situation or what? Dwelling on the things I can't change seems to be my specialty. I'm learning a lot about surrendering to God, even when things don't go according to my plans.

Anonymous said...

yeah! thats excatly how I felt.
pretty happy you said that, thought i was the only one who was disappointed.